Friday, January 22, 2010

Hair Daze

Around the beginning of last year I decided to go back to my roots and stop wearing a relaxer in my hair. Most people can tell you the exact date that they did the Big Chop, but all I know is that it was in February or March of 2009. However, I can tell you the feelings I had as I watched big clumps of my hair fall into the sink. At first, scared, as in What the heck am I doing?! Then excited, then exhilarated. I remember smiling and laughing as I watched my natural curls emerge in the mirror. Since going natural, I've never felt so free. I know I will never go back to relaxing my hair.

Finding a routine that works for my hair has been an adventure. I've been watching natural hair videos on Youtube like crazy, along with daily visits to curlyniki.com. It was on Youtube that I learned about Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. Right now, I'm trying the Curly Girl Method and loving it. I'm still searching for a good moisturizer for my hair, though. So far, the Carol's Daughter products I've tried have been less than stellar. Unrefined shea butter mixed with coconut oil seems to work for a lot of people, so that's next on my agenda. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment